PRI works to build the capacity of cold climate urban farmers. Whether you are working as a for-profit urban farmer or simply growing fresh foods in your own yard or community garden, PRI provides educational resources for urban growers throughout the year. Below are some of our favorite online tools and recommended reading.
Online Tools and Links
- City of Minneapolis Urban Agriculture Policy Plan
- City of St. Paul Urban Agriculture Zoning Study
- Gardener's Supply Kitchen Garden Planner
- Grant: Fund-a-Farmer
- Growing Power, Inc.
- Godsil’s site for the Milwaukee Renaissance
- MetroFarm: The Online Magazine of Metropolitan Agriculture
- Soil Testing Lab at the University of Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Gardening Information
- Urban Agriculture News
- Agroecology 101: An Introduction to Integrated Agricultural Land Management Systems - by PRI board member Matt Frank & Dovetail Partners, Inc.
- Food Not Lawns - by H. Flores
- Gaia’s Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture - by Toby Hemenway
- How to Grow More Vegetables Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine - by John Jeavons
- An Introduction to Urban Agriculture: Past, Present, and Future - by PRI board member Matt Frank & Dovetail Partners, Inc.
- Innovative Approaches to Municipal Stormwater Management: Utilizing Green Infrastructure as a Cost-Effective Means to Reduce Stormwater Runoff and Improve Water Quality - by PRI board member Matt Frank & Dovetail Partners, Inc.
- The Organic Gardener’s Handbook of Natural Insect & Disease Control - by Barbara W. Ellis & Fern Marshall Bradley
- Permaculture 101: An Introduction to Regenerative Design - by PRI board member Matt Frank & Dovetail Partners, Inc.
- The Soul of Soil - by Grace Gershuny & Joe Smillie
- Start a Farm in the City - booklet from NCAT
- Urban Agriculture and Community Food Security in the United States: Farming from the City Center to the Urban Fringe - by the Community Food Security Coalition
- Urban Agriculture: Food, Jobs and Sustainable Cities - by Joe Nasr
- Urban Agriculture: Programs and Policies in Minnesota - by PRI board member Matt Frank & Dovetail Partners, Inc.
- Urban Ecology for Minneapolis Gardeners - by PRI intern Thorin Gustafson
- Utilizing Urban Forests for Fruit Production - by PRI board member Matt Frank & Dovetail Partners, Inc.